TX Congressman Louie ‘Terror Babies’ Gohmert Casts Lone Vote to Keep ‘Lunatic’ in Law

On Wednesday the U.S. House of Representatives voted 398-1 to remove the word “lunatic” from federal law. Mental health advocacy organizations lobbied for the change, saying that the word is outdated and demeaning to people who suffer from mental illnesses. The Senate had voted unanimously last spring to remove references to the word in federal law.

Republican Congressman Louie Gohmert of Texas cast the only vote to keep the word in law. Gohmert said he has no problem with the word and, in fact, thinks it accurately describes “people who want to continue with business as usual in Washington” instead of “saving our country from bankruptcy.”

Gohmert has become known for his outrageous comments in Congress. You might recall, for example, that he think foreign terrorists are breeding babies on U.S. soil so that those children will be able to launch attacks on America from within when they’re older. He has also claimed — including in this stunning rant on Capitol Hill last summer — that radical Muslims are running amok in the Obama administration.

Gohmert’s support for democracy is so tenuous that in 2010, upset over the Senate’s passage of health care reform, he advocated for repealing the 17th Amendment, which requires the direct election of senators. He has also suggested that legislation dealing with hate crimes would protect people engaged in sex with animals, corpses and children.

This article was posted in these categories: Louie Gohmert, TFNEF. Bookmark the permalink. Follow comments with the RSS feed for this post.Trackbacks are closed, but you can Post a Comment.

1. Posted April 17, 2013 at 1:23 pm | Permalink

Hope this isn’t true. I read TX spends the least money for helping people with mental illness. Now if that’s fact, that’s lunacy. While I disprove of Lousie Gohmert vote I think if its, the truth, TX spending the least money on mental health care is lunacy.

2. Posted December 7, 2012 at 6:01 am | Permalink

One of the all too often publicly embarrassing moments of Texas. Is there a “fit for duty” clause for Reps.?

3. Posted December 7, 2012 at 5:37 am | Permalink

Actually I think TFN got this wrong. Gohmert was the only one who is not a lunatic because he thought this vote was all a waste of time. There are more pressing issues and it is sad that these trivial things are the only way to get the lunatics in congress to agree. Gohmert is my hero here.

4. Laura Borst
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 9:14 pm | Permalink

I think it is really bad that Gohmert voted against removing the word “lunatic” from federal law. I find that word demeaning and stigmatizing. I read about more of Gohmert’s behavior here and I find it bad that he promotes hatred.

5. Posted December 6, 2012 at 7:29 pm | Permalink

Since he IS a lunatic I can understand why he would want to keep the term. What I fail to understand is why the people who send him to Congress do it. Comic relief may be a reason, not wanting to have a lunatic among them.

It is because of people like that comic that I have zero respect for Congress.

6. John MacMurray
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 6:15 pm | Permalink

Isn’t it a bit more than ironic that Louis Gohmert, of all people, wants to keep the word “lunatic?”

7. Rubin Sunset
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:42 pm | Permalink

So …. Removing a word from federal law … that’s how Congress sees fit to spend their time, at taxpayers expense. Warren Buffett’s Congressional Reform Act of 2012 should be what they should be considering….

8. Posted December 6, 2012 at 12:34 pm | Permalink

yup, he wanted to keep the term all to & FOR himself!

9. Gary
    Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:54 am | Permalink

He’s taking inspiration from groups who have claimed formerly pejorative words like “queer” and “gimp” for their own, trying to do the same for his own community. Let’s hear it for Lunatic Pride!

(That bunch is going to have some great Pride Parades, I guarantee.)

10. Posted December 6, 2012 at 11:06 am | Permalink

I’m “liking” your post five more times (if only I could), Joe.

11. Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink

He should have recused himself.

• Mars Bonfire
      Posted December 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm | Permalink

Wow! Succinct and brilliant!

My thought was, with apologies to Pink Floyd, “The lunatic is in the hall” [of power].

12. Posted December 6, 2012 at 10:54 am | Permalink